MANKATO, MN (June 2018) – The Mankato Area Foundation (MAF) is pleased to announce $31,900 in grants from their Community Fund have been awarded to area nonprofits through their spring granting cycle. As part of the framework for their community granting, MAF funds projects and programs that foster livability in the Greater Mankato area.
The latest round of grants supported the following community projects:
- $15,000 to the Mahkato Mdewakanton Association for the construction of a steel canopy arbor and seating on its powwow grounds in Land of Memories Park, Mankato, MN with the purpose of taking another step toward bridging the gap between Dakota people and the non‐native community. The structure’s physical presence will be symbolic of bringing together Native Americans through dance, song, and fellowship of old and new friends.
- $10,000 to City Center Partnership – GMG, Inc. to engage the Greater Mankato Diversity Council and YWCA Mankato to conduct an in-depth introductory course on race and its implications within Greater Mankato for the boards of Greater Mankato Growth, Visit Mankato, City Center Partnership and GreenSeam.
- $6,000 to the Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota for the enhancement of the prairie garden bordering the museum’s campus by providing interpretative signage and supporting the installation of "I Choose Joy", a sculpture created by Greg Mueller and featured in the 2017 CityArt Walking Sculpture Tour.
- $900 to the Mankato Area Community Band for a special program of Spanish concert band music to highlight the importance of Spain and Latin America to the concert band repertoire and culture.
“We are always pleased with the variety of applications we receive and the uniqueness of the projects we fund in this area. It’s an honor to support the work of our local nonprofit sector as they strengthen this region and improve lives,” said Nancy Zallek, President and CEO of the Foundation.
About the Mankato Area Foundation
The Mankato Area Foundation is a donor-driven community foundation whose purpose is to improve the livability in our region. Our Community Foundation connects donors with causes they care about, provides funding to address key community objectives and convenes individuals and organizations to find solutions to local challenges. To learn more about the Mankato Area Foundation and how the organization makes an impact in this region visit www.mankatoareafoundation.com or visit us on Facebook.
- Local Organizations Awarded Grants from the Mankato Area Foundation
- Mankato Area Foundation Announces Women’s Giving Circle Recipients
- Pioneer Bank provides $10,000 Gift to Mankato Area Foundation
- Mankato Nonprofits Receive Otto Bremer Trust Grants
- Demand for Mental Health Training Skyrockets as Pandemic Worsens