Once again, #growMANkato, a grassroots effort to raise individual and community awareness of men’s health, with a focus on prostate & testicular cancer (the men’s cancers) will be going strong this November. The efforts started in 2014 with conversation between two local men, testicular cancer survivor, Chris Harstad and prostate and kidney cancer survivor, Jonathan Zierdt.
Help show your support of the “men’s cancers” by shaving down on November 1st and continue to grow all month long to help show your support and raise awareness of these cancers. The monthlong campaign will officially kick off Thursday November 1st at the “Shave Down, Beards & Beer Event” 5pm at Mankato Brewery. It will continue through the month with 3 additional events planned culminating on Friday November 30th at the “Mustache Bash” 8pm at Pub 500.
Funds are being raised through the initiative to help support men going through treatment and their families by providing gift cards to help ease everyday expenses such as gas and groceries. Often cancer puts people on paths they have never predicted, things that were once not a burden due to increased expenses or inability to work. #growMANkato is working with Mankato Area Foundation, the JZ Cancer Fund, and local health care providers to provide donations directly to those who are in need. To donate go to www.MankatoAreaFoundation.com, click “Give Today”, and select #growMANkato as the recipient. #growMANkato has a goal to raise $10,000 this year.
We want you to help support and raise awareness of men’s cancer all November long. Here are the rules of the game:
- No shaving after November 1
- We don’t discriminate – mustaches and beards of all kinds are okay – do what suits you!
- Pick up your #growMANkato bracelet starting November 1 at any of the 4 #growMANkato Events, Pub 500, or Mankato Brewery to show your support for the initiative.
- Show up (with friends and family in tow of course) to the Mustache Bash on November 30 at Pub 500 for the Mustache/Beard Competition, live music and a great time!
- Go to www.MankatoAreaFoundation.com and make a financial contribution to support community members and familys through their battle with cancer.
#growMANkato 2018 Schedule of Events:
- Nov 1 Thu – Shave Down, Beards & Beer Event @ Mankato Brewery 6pm
Kick off “No Shave November” and #growMANkato’s cancer fundraising initiative with straight razor shaves & trims by Y Barbers, free food from Pub 500, live music, limited release Mankato Brewery brew.
- Nov 3 Sat – Shaved Ice and Celebrity Shave Down – MSU Men’s Maverick Hockey vs Minnesota Gophers @ Verizon Center 7pm
MSU Hockey shows their support for men’s cancer awareness along with #growMANkato’s live celebrity, Landon Brown, shave on center ice.
- Nov 12 Mon – Max Wojtanowicz Performance: Ball: A Musical Tribute To My Lost Testicle @ South Central College 7pm.
- Testicular cancer survivor and performing artist, Max W, presents his journey with stage 3 testicular cancer through comical storytelling and original song. Performance is free and open to the public.
- Nov 30 Fri – Mustache Bash @ Pub 500 7pm
End of the month celebration with mustache/beard competition, special beer, live music, mustache/beard trimming by Y Barbers, caricatures, and more.