The Jonathan Zierdt Cancer Fund, a donor advised fund of the Mankato Area Foundation, was established in 2017 by Jonathan and Ginger Zierdt and a guiding coalition of engaged community leaders to build community cancer awareness and support.
Mission: Committed to Community Cancer Awareness and Support
Vision: Changing the Cancer Journey
THE REALITY OF CANCER
Cancer continues to be a leading cause of death in Minnesota and across the country. This is personal—it’s about friends, neighbors and family in Minnesota.
- One out of two Minnesotans will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- Every day, more than three of our friends, neighbors or family members are diagnosed with cancer in south central Minnesota.
- Every day, more than one of our friends, neighbors or family members in south central Minnesota die from cancer.
- Early detection makes all the difference—survival rates in most cases are significantly higher.
YOUR INVESTMENT WILL CHANGE THE CANCER JOURNEY
The Jonathan Zierdt Cancer Fund is committed to community cancer awareness and support. Here are just a few possible examples of how your investment will help change the cancer journey:
- JZ “Fully Alive” PACKs - specially designed care packages given on diagnosis.
- “How To’s” for caregivers, family, friends, employers and more.
- Preventative health information and access to early detection methods.
- Downloadable App with information on cancer facts, resources and support.
In the News
Tami Paulsen Named Director of Jonathan Zierdt Cancer Fund of the Manakto Area Foundation
MANKATO, MN (August 25, 2017) The Jonathan Zierdt Cancer Fund (JZCF) of the Mankato Area Foundation (MAF) announces that Tami Paulsen has been hired as the fund’s part-time Director. The decision comes as the JZCF’s Executive Committee called for the hiring to help launch and guide the newly established Donor Advised Fund of the Mankato Area Foundation. The JZCF was established earlier this year by Jonathan and Ginger Zierdt and a guiding coalition of engaged community leaders to build community cancer awareness and support.
Jonathan Zierdt Cancer Fund
Jonathan was diagnosed with kidney and prostate cancer in November, 2013. While his kidney cancer has been in remission since the fall of 2014, the prostate cancer has been a much stronger foe. Since its onset, he has been in constant treatment including surgery, radiation and anti-hormone therapy, followed by additional radiation, chemotherapy and ongoing anti-hormone therapy. The prostate cancer remains present, but as of early 2017 is considered to be stable.
Throughout his journey Jonathan has been bolstered by remaining actively engaged in the community and his work, hoping as he says to “change the face of cancer.” Having received so much support during their cancer journey, this fund allows the greater community to engage with them in the fight against cancer.
Kathy Van Tol
Larry Van Tol
Caroline Baerg, MD
Mayo Clinic Health System
Mike James, MD
American Cancer Society
Mankato Family YMCA
Greg Kutcher, MD
Mayo Clinic Health System
Angels for Breast Cancer
Ex Officio Counsel
Mankato Area Foundation
Special Counsel - Legal Counsel
Marketing & Communications